Monday, March 15, 2010

Silhouettes

Ever since I was a little girl I have loved silhouettes.
My childhood friend (I think her blog is be private--sorry) had silhouettes of her whole family (from Disneyland?). I thought they were so cool, especially hers because she was the girl with 5 brothers and so you could really tell hers apart from the rest. She had an awesome ponytail with a bow.
Recently I was looking around online, browsing in nienie's archives and found that she taught a class on how to make silhouettes! With more browsing on etsy and such I decided that I wanted to do my own, but with fabric, colorful fabric. Now, I'm really not the crafty-talented type but I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's what I did.
I took a profile picture of all of us. (I'll spare you mine and Todd's pictures.)

I adjusted them on the computer to the right size (about 5x7), printed them out and cut out the face/bust.

Then I used Heat 'n Bond's strongest no-sew adhesive and ironed it on to black fabric. Then I traced the the paper face onto the fabric, cut out the silhouette, and ironed it on to the pretty fabric.
Then I waited for oval frames to go on sale at Hobby Lobby. Luckily, everything eventually is 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby. I got the frames Saturday and voila!

Sorry it's blurry.
The silhouettes are finished! Now, where to hang them?

Ah, that works.

10 comments:

Holly and Daric said...

Those turned out great, what a fun idea!

A and N said...

What a cute idea!!!!

Ashlee said...

Darling! I totally stole that idea from NieNie too. Last year I made silhouettes for my mother in law for Christmas. I did mine completely out of paper though. The fabric you used was great!

Also... you went to Ghana? Wow! What were you there for?

Is your ear any better?

The Sabeys said...

That is amazing! So cute! I will probably have to copy your idea someday. You are so cool. And I am pretty sure you are the "cute and crafty" type. I have seen some of your other projects.

Amy said...

Ahh, I love it! My parent's have silhouettes from Disneyland for all of us too--I liked your idea, and may steal it when all of my other projects are finished up!

Maddie said...

those are super cute! I totally want to make some now : )

sarah e. said...

Love them! And ditto on what Allen and Cameo noted, you definitely seem crafty to me.

Katie Lewis said...

Great job Rachel! They totally look like you guys. :)

Rachel said...

Cool idea! I love it!

Lindsey S. said...

Rach I love them! At first I started reading this and thought oh our family had those and then thought hey I am the one with 5 brothers and your childhood friend! hahaha funny. I so want to find those at my Moms. She took them down when they redid the family room. I'm not sure where they disappeared too. You did so awesome! They look just as good as the Disneyland ones! Actually better since the cute fabric!