Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Green House

A few months ago Todd told me he wanted to rent a garden plot and start a garden.
(We can do that here at Winfield--isn't that cool?)

My first thought: More work. Sounds like a great idea . . . but I don't know if I'm up for it. All growing up we had a garden and when I was young I thought it was so cool to plant, take care of, and literally eat the fruits (and veggies) of our labors. But, with the combination of our busy schedules, a new baby, and my, well, laziness, I wasn't so sure. I admit, I doubted that Todd would--could--actually take part in it.

But, he has proved me wrong. I'm sorry I doubted you, honey!

He's going all-out. And doing all the work.

First he went to the library and checked out gardening books.



I laughed at his choices: the no-work garden and 60- Minute Garden. Seriously?! Too funny.

But, Todd got to work and has done amazing things. I am so impressed. He has built 4 large boxes to do raised beds, a trellis, has put together a watering system and a fence. We've started a compost pile and started seeds.
Turns out Jeff Ball is the guru of gardening. We're big fans of his now.
It looks like we'll be planting in the next week or so. I wonder how things will turn out in a wetter (than Utah) climate. This'll be fun.


We've "started" everything: tomatoes, green beans, pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber, broccoli, cabbage, bell peppers and a watermelon . . . I know. We're crazy. But, we figure not everything will survive past "starting" and then when we plant we'll narrow down to the choice ones. We're also planning to grow things up, like our squashes, so that'll give more room for other things to grow in the ground.


Leftovers for compost


Things are growing!


And needing to be transplanted.

Pictures of our plot to come. Cross your fingers for us!

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

I wondered what those were when I came for VTing. That is SO cool! When I grow up I am going to learn how to garden too. I hope you have lots and lots of success with the garden! There is nothing so yummy as fresh veggies from a garden!